Saturday, June 11, 2011

30 Days Song Challenge: Week 2

I’m back for week 2 of the 30 Days Song Challenge. Again, I’m only using songs from my personal iTunes library. Enjoy!

day 08 - a song that you know all the words to
“Inside Out” – Eve6. Not only do I know all the words, but I’m happy to sing along at the top of my lungs!

day 09 - a song that you can dance to
“Tell Her Tonight” - Franz Ferdinand. Let’s be clear – I can’t dance, but this song has been known to cause me to break out into fits of dancing (often while driving and sometimes mistaken for a seizure).

day 10 - a song that makes you fall asleep
“The Longest Year” – Katatonia. The dark, rhythmic metal of Katatonia is one of favorites to put on and just chill out to. Out the deck, with the headphones on, I can just let this song, and the rest  of Night Is The New Day, take me away.

day 11 - a song from your favorite band
“Black Water Park” – Opeth. The title track closes out Opeth’s groundbreaking 5th album. This album went a long way to making Opeth known outside of Sweden. It’s the perfect culmination of prog and death metal. The song itself is a 12-minute epic which incorporates heavy riffing, deafening drums, and subtle breakdowns. As the final blast beats grind conclusion, Mikael Akerfeldt roars “…the sun sets forever, over blackwater park” and you believe that it will.

day 12 - a song from a band you hate
“When I’m Gone” - 3 Doors Down. First, let me say that ‘hate’ is strong word. I don’t really have anything that I hate, but I as much as I try, I never been able to feel anything for 3 Doors Down. Maybe it was the incessant play on the radio or just the predictable song structure (verse/chorus/v/c/solo/c….etc), but I just can't like this band.

day 13 - a song that is a guilty pleasure
“Sunrise” – Norah Jones.  Just a catchy little song from 2004’s Feels Like Home. I have a weakness for mellow piano and female vocals, what can I say?

day 14 - a song that no one would expect you to love
“Blue - Al Di Meola” - Demir Demirkan. This is opening track to Painted On Water by Turkish musicians Demir Demirkan and Sertab Erener. Demirkan is a rock guitarist who brings out some jazz and blues sounds to accompany pop singer Sertab Erener. “Blue” is a short, but sweet instrumental that sets the stage for rest of the album. And in this case, the seemingly unlikely pairing of these two stars makes for an excellent listening experimence.

Check out this video - another amazing song:


Tune in next time for Week 3. Also coming soon - reviews of Amorphis and Wolfbane! 

No comments:

Post a Comment