I saw the page 30 Days Song Challenge on Facebook and decided to try it. The rules appear simple enough, but I didn’t want to try to remember to post something every day so I decided to write a blog for each week. I promise to only use songs from my own iTunes library.
So here goes – the first 7 days:
day 01 - your favorite song
“End Of The Line” – DevilDriver. This song, off of their second album, starts very assumingly before exploding into an all-out earth-shattering, hang-banging, thrash fest. From singer Dez Farfara’s guttural screams to the sick guitar breakdowns, I knew that DevilDriver had found their sound and that this was really the beginning of something epic. After 8 years they’re still going and getting strong with each song.
day 02 - your least favorite song
“Disasterpiece” – Slipknot. Honestly, it’s not this song in particular, but I just couldn’t get into Slipknot’s second album, Iowa. I still go back, listen to their first CD, and am blown away by how far they pushed the boundaries. The influence of that album can still be felt more than a decade later (and rightfully so). But for me, Iowa falls a bit flat.
day 03 - a song that makes you happy
“Sky Is Mine” – Amorphis. With punchy riffs, sick keyboards, and epic vocals this song gets me going and make me smile. The energy and emotion is incredible. There’s something about Amorphis’ style that makes the sun shine brighter and the world challenges seem attainable. “This is sky is mine, this sun is mine, this fate is mine.”
day 04 - a song that makes you sad
“Angel’s Son” – Sevendust. This is a tribute to Lynn Strait, singer of the band Snot, who was killed in a car accident along with his dog in 1998. The music video includes members of Strait’s band and his mother. There’s a great scene where they start a bon fire and are joined by a parade of members of the rock community like Dez Farfara (Coal Chamber), Brandon Boyd (Incubus), and Shavo Odadjian (System of a Down).
day 05 - a song that reminds you of someone
“Ballad Of A Thin Man” – Bob Dylan. This song reminds me of everyone who just doesn’t get it. Those who fail to realize the life around them and the life outside of familiarity and reason.
day 06 - a song that reminds you of somewhere
“Live Your Life (Down)” – Tantric. This always reminds me of driving back and forth from college to home on I-80 in Pennsylvania. I’d put on this CD, among others, and sing along to pass the time. Now whenever this song comes up I can picture the long stretch of highway with trees and cows flying by the side of the road.
day 07 - a song that reminds you of a certain event
No comments:
Post a Comment