Last year was a great year for metal shows. For me, the highlights were Opeth and Katatonia, DevilDriver, Filter, and all of the Heavy MTL. As 2012 ramps up and bands begin touring, I'd like ask all the fair-weather fans to quit whining and stay home. Stop complaining about set lists (or pretending you're surprised or that anyone else cares) and just listen and enjoy the face-melting metal.
When A Perfect Circle announced a full US tour, I was excited and bought my tickets for Boston the moment they were available. I also read the news and announcement from APC that said that this tour would focus on material from the eMotive album. Therefore, I was not disappointed, but instead delighted to hear Maynard Keenan belt out his dark, sinister version of "Imagine," mixed in with great tracks from their first two albums. I did not feel cheated when they chose not to play a song like "Judith," but closed the set with a new song, written shortly before the tour began. In my opinion, that was much more thrilling.
Seeing comments about Opeth's new album, Heritage, and their first tour in support of the album left me wondering if any of those people had actually ever heard Opeth before. Heritage was a breath of fresh air, a reflection on the winding road that brought Opeth to their current state. Every time I listen to older, "heavier" albums, I can hear every element of Heritage seeping through the dark spaces and around the edges. Heritage was a different album than their previous work and it was a breath a welcomed of fresh air.
I want to see and hear my favorite bands progress to something greater, something better. I don't want to hear the same songs from Filter, Opeth, or DevilDriver. Every album and every show is a chance to see something different, to allow your own perceptions to be challenged. I'm not content waiting for a band to rehash the same melodies, chords, and solos that they've done a hundred times before. Maybe that works for some genres but not for my metal. Music is about challenging yourself and challenging your audience. If that bothers you, then just stay home. I don't want your elbow in my neck in the pit anyway.
Here's hoping to another great year of metal shows. I don't know about you, but so far things are looking good: I've my ticket for In Flames and Trivium, Filter, and Opeth and Mastodon. What are you listening to?
No comments:
Post a Comment